Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Typical, Then Strange

Bringing Sam to school this afternoon I saw an old dog in the road. He didn't seem to have street smarts because he kept wandering in front of cars. You won't find much for traffic on the dirt roads of Westford, but there were a handful of cars not sure what to do about the old guy standing in the road. He wore a collar without tags. I called to him, "Hey Buddy, want to go for a ride?" He jumped right in and started cleaning up food crumbs in the van. After dumping Sam at school I set out to find his owners. Thankfully it took only two stops. His name is Harv and he's half blind. We've scooped up at least four wandering dogs in the years I've lived here. Luckily we've either found the owners or they've found us.

On our way home from Harv's house I saw an average grey squirrel who was missing the bush from his tail! He had a little rat-like tail with no fur. I'm certain it was a squirrel, not a chipmunk. Now what would cause that? At first I wondered if it had been burned off or something, but the rest of him looked alright. Perhaps he has a skin condition or something. If he were someones pet I wonder if he'd be wearing one of those little collars that keep animals from chewing on themselves. Strange.

No comments: