Sunday, December 26, 2010

Deweybarn Holiday Season 2010

Last weekend we attended a special Santa greeting organized for children on the autism spectrum. Sam, Mae and I had fun decorating cookies, making ornaments and new friends. Mae enjoyed playing at a sensory table filled with various treasures buried in rice. It wasn't long before she lured in three kids to play with her. Two of them seemed anxious when they arrived and I think non-verbal. "Here ya go", she said to one boy handing him a cup full of rice. Another boy sat down with his dad and Mae engaged both of them by sharing trinkets she found in the rice. I got choked up watching her work.

Chico waiting for Santa


Christmas morning Sam and Mae decided they should stack everything from under the tree onto the table. Sam found a stray bow, placed it on his head and said, "Look Mae, I'm a present!"

2 comments:

Anna said...

I sure do love those two.

Anonymous said...

Great Christmas!!