Friday, July 20, 2007

I Would Be Insane...

...to go to the grocery store with just Sam and Mae again. Our list was long. We were there for 90 minutes and spent $175. Our annual camping trip is coming up, we needed supplies and today was the best time to get them. We were clearly the family single people look at and say, "My kids will never be like that". I could imagine my mother and the dirty looks she would have given us had she been an anonymous shopper today. I'm sure everyone on that store knew my son's name by the time we were done, "Sam, I told you not to run. Sam, stay where I can see you. Sam, watch where you are going, people are trying to work and do their shopping, etc." In the baking goods isle we toppled over a display of spices, a family taking pity on me helped us clean it up. As we approached the corridor to the restroom Sam said, "There's the bathroom down there." "Yes honey", I replied. Then, "No sweetheart we aren't going back there....Hey! Get back here now!". To this he assumed my stance with a cross look on his face stomped his foot, pointed to the bathroom and loudly exclaimed, "I have to poop!" It would be one thing if he performed this bodily function on a toilet, but he won't. Not wanting to discourage him from taking this monumental step I took him in. Dead end of course, he wanted to play in the sink and with the hand dryer. At this point we weren't even halfway through our list and I could feel the glares and the pitying looks from other shoppers. I can honestly say today was the most embarrassed I have ever been.

On our way home as I composed this blog in my head, I asked my son, "Did you have fun at the grocery store?" "Yes mommy". What else could I do but laugh? We then stopped at the Orr farm for some fresh eggs. It's a self serve thing where you put money in a can and get your eggs from a refrigerator on their porch. The eggs are great and it's fun to open the side doors on the van so the kids can watch chickens wander around. Today one hen seemed curious about the van. She hopped right in Mae's side, hung out for a few minutes contentedly clucking, then went over to Sam's side. I eventually had to shoo her out, I think she would have come home with us if I'd let her.

It's funny how the most ordinary errands can become an adventure with your kids.

1 comment:

Anna said...

Gah! The grocery store seems like a trip through the gauntlet these days, doesn't it? A challenge of epic proportions...and I only have the one.