Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Pre-Grieving?



My family Buster and Sharon have been emptying Grammy's apartment. As Grammy won't be returning it needs to be cleaned out by the end of June. I am especially grateful to Sharon for sorting and setting aside personal treasures. Tonight I looked through some of what has been set aside for me. There are photographs, cards and letters she had received and letters she had written but weren't sent. After picking up a frame with Sam and Mae's school pictures from last year, I realized how difficult Buster and Sharon's task is. They are sorting through Grammy's personal things, as one must do when a relative dies, yet she is still with us. My husband best articulates the situation: Going through belongings of the deceased allows for closure and healing. We aren't ready for closure while she still has stories to tell, questions to ask, "I love you" to say, and the ability to enjoy simple pleasures we can offer her.

1 comment:

Anna said...

Jersey Girl Hair! ;-) You are truly rocking that hair, girl!

I absolutely love this picture...just enjoy all the weeks, days, minutes you have left together. Your Grammy knows how much you love her, and really...what more could you ask for at the end of your life, than to be surrounded by the people you love, and who love you most in the world?

I don't have anything of my Grandmothers'...I'm a little jealous of your box of treasures! ;-)