Monday, March 28, 2011

A Perfect Day

This is our daughter hugging Laurie Berkner. Most people with young children who have watched Nick Jr. or Noggin know her songs. There are moments in our lives, both simple and profound that come with a soundtrack. Songs from The Laurie Berkner Band are part of our soundtrack.
-
The day Mae was diagnosed with autism, I called Dave from the parking garage to tell him the news. To cover up my sobs, I played Mae's favorite CD. After a few minutes I heard her singing along with Laurie Berkner, "I'm not perfect. No I'm not. I'm not perfect, but I've got what I've got. I do my very best. I do my very best. I do my very best each day, but I'm not perfect and I hope you like me that way." My heart will never forget that moment. I'd often thought of sending the band a letter to tell them how much that song meant to me in that moment.
-
We learned the band planned a show in Providence this month. After considering the drive, finding dog care and cost we decided not to go. While I was on their website I sent an email with our story. The response came quickly from a member of their team. "If you ever come to a concert, we do meet and greets for our special needs fans." We quickly changed our minds, ordered tickets to the show and made travel arrangements. After the show we stood in line with other families waiting for our turn to meet the band. When they called us Mae ran into the room, did a flying leap into Laurie Berkner's arms and gave her a big hug. Laurie closed her eyes, accepted Mae's hug and hugged her back. Mae then got down from Laurie's lap, waved goodbye and ran out of the room. She was so excited! We all called to her, "Mae! Come Back!" I wonder if I'd do the same thing if I had a meet and greet with Kid Rock.

I told them our "I'm Not Perfect" story. The tears began before I even opened my mouth.

3 comments:

Beth Folland said...

Oh Pam...what a cool day!!! :) I type with tears in my eyes! I just love reading about your family!
I told you that Mae is my Becky's middle name, right? Love you! xo

Michelle said...

Wow that is awesome and a very very special moment in time you all will never forget !!

Leonita said...

Beautiful!