Monday, August 11, 2008

My Little Experiment


Yesterday while in the barn filling our dog's breakfast bowls, I saw something move in the cat's water dish. Creeped me out. How did this bizaare aquatic creature get into my barn and take up residence in the cat's water bowl? I scooped up a few and put them in a vase to see what might develop. In the meantime I Googled "water critters" and thankfully found a university site with a link called "EEK! Water Critter Key". Mosquito larva makes sense. The drainage ditches on our road were re-done last summer in response to flooding. All the rain we've been having left standing water in the ditches. I don't think I've ever experienced such a flurry of bloodsuckers in my life. Although I detest mosquitos, I'm glad it isn't some weird evolution of parasite my cats may have picked up.