Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Many Topics At Year's End

Beauty

Looking through our west-facing-windows, I see several grades in the landscape with many tree lines. Just now I took our new dog out and the tiniest snowflakes were falling. The fading sun created a magical glow. The snow looked like different colors of smoke drifting through rows of bare-limbed trees. We passed a stream that was full and rushing a few days ago when temperatures were in the 50's. In contrast, today it is 6 degrees and there are thick icicles clinging to the rocks. Through a new layer of ice we heard rushing water.


Painful

I handed over a check for $2000 today. This is a small portion of what our new septic will cost.


Did Your Siblings Get Their Asses Kicked?

This morning I was checking my e-mail when Mae tapped me on the arm and said, "Help." She was soaking wet. I sprinted to the living room and saw Sam with a glass of water and an evil grin. This afternoon I caught sight of Sam air born just before he landed on our dog Jack. The poor dog growled and relocated. Today I have spoken the following more than once, "Get off your sister!..Hands to yourself!...No one likes hands in their face!... Let's start over (when he's sassed me) I will ask you again..." Dave and I are only children. We hope we're doing the right thing. We have friends with horror stories like a sister who tried to poison the new arrival; an older sibling who bounced a baby jumper against a door frame with her in it (may have been the same family-Debbie Stevens?). I thought about these stories this afternoon when I was feeling helpless and frustrated. I realize this behavior is not new, it's been happening as long as families have been forming. What I'd like to know is, would your brother/sister have gotten their ass kicked for Sam Dewey's behavior today?

1 comment:

MargieCain said...

To answer your question...yeah, my dad would have done one swift spank with one of his HUGE hands if one of us had vaulted ourselves onto the dog or thrown water at a sibling. Especially IN the house...

But I did laugh out loud at the image of a soaking wet Mae saying "help". However, I think I used to torture Mike to the point that he would grab me and try to strangle me. My mother would have to intervene. She called that Mikes's "suppressed agression" - and what I had coming to me. Hard to believe, right?? And I'm the baby! :-)