Friday, February 27, 2009

Breaking The Rules

The past few days we've had an electrician making improvements to the Deweybarn. We felt it best to vacate because power would be off for several hours. It was me and the Deweykids. Dave was between night shifts and needed sleep.

We started our day with breakfast at JP's Diner. The restaurant has a shelf about 4ft from the ceiling filled with animals and plants posed in a jungle theme. It's perfect for keeping 3 and 5 year old kids occupied. After breakfast we attended an interactive exhibit at the Flemming Museum, then did some shopping. Around noon we went to a Burger King that has a contained, indoor playground. A sign outside the play structure welcomed children 4ft and under. My heart melted as I watched Sam tenderly assist his sister climb steps she couldn't reach on her own.

After a few minutes, "Sam Dewey! How is Mae?"

"She's right here Mama!"

Several minutes later I spotted him, "Sam, where is Mae?" He responded, "She's afraid to go down the slide."

"Please check on her to make sure she's alright!"

"Hey! Anyone seen my sister? Oh! She's here Mama! You need to come get her, she's afraid to go down the slide."

"Honey, I can't come get her, the playground is for little kids. Please help her down."

10 minutes passed. I asked Sam if he could hold her close and take her down the slide with him. He responded, "She's too scared Mama." I asked another parent if adults ever go in after their kids. She personally hadn't, but her mother had gone in once to retrieve their youngest.

Now I can say I have gone into a play structure made for little kids that was full of little kids. It was tight and at one point I got stuck in a tube. When I found Mae she was sweaty, had been crying and was glad to see me. A necessary mission accomplished. Thankfully no one had to go in to extract me.

3 comments:

Anna said...

Good Lord! So that's why you mentioned getting stuck today! :) Thanks a million for coming to Luke's party...we love you guys!

Anonymous said...

Well Mrs. Dewey, I too have been inside the play structure at mcdonalds in St. Albans, and i have to say it was the most fun i have had since hershey park!

Lmlm said...

Hi Pam, I love reading your blogs! This one in particular touched a soft spot with me! I HAVE climbed into the children's play area, nearly got stuck, and slid down the slide with my kids! Seems like a hundred years ago now. I just Kissed my eldest good bye as she hopped a plane to TX indefinitely. Lynne M