Monday, July 14, 2008

A Whiff of Perspective

This morning I heard Mae object to something her brother was doing. I pulled Sam aside for interrogation. He explained he had squeezed her and said, (affectionately it seems) "I'm your big brother, Mae!" His intentions didn't sound malicious so I let him go with a warning, "When Mae gets mad like that, she wants you to let her go-so let her go!"
-
Tonight during bath time, I spotted Sam holding Mae's head as he plunged thumbs into her eyes. I had a fit! He was dragged out of the bath and bedtime stories were diminished from three down to one.
-
I often describe our life by saying, "They are kicking our ass!" However, when I step back a moment, I acknowledge some day we will consider these the best years. There will come a day when Sam won't share his imaginary friends with us, "The Other Sam and his friend Spider." Today, I enjoyed hearing about Other Sam's choo choo train. Other Sam's friend, Spider also has a train, but it is much smaller. Apparently, Other Sam's choo choo takes several steps to board, but his friend Spider's choo choo has fewer, smaller steps. This afternoon Sam and I practiced boarding both trains. Thankfully my Sam was able to redirect the Other Sam's train track so that I might remain seated on the couch quietly reading my grown up book. So thoughtful.

No comments: