Sunday, July 6, 2008

Transition

Grammy died yesterday just before 3pm. When speaking with my Uncle yesterday morning, I told him I struggled between staying home or driving three hours to be with her. He shared Grammy's exact words from the day before, "Tell her don't be stupid (As she shook a scolding finger in the air), she needs to take care of those children and Dave." Grammy acknowledged the many hours we'd spent together during her hospitalization and the years of simple pleasures we have enjoyed together. Dave and I loved to pamper her. A great meal, tickets to the circus, a trip to Montreal were received with such pleasure it made us want to give her the world.

I am grateful for every minute spent with her. During the past two months I have loved giving her manicures, rubbing her back, listening to stories, holding her hand, giving and receiving kisses.

Transition. Today I insisted we focus on family recreation. It has been a blessing being allowed time spent with Grammy, I have equally felt the loss of family time. Selling our house has kept us busy for at least five months. My trips to New Hampshire and Dave's trips to the Police Academy have kept us apart for nearly two months. This morning I threw together a picnic lunch and we headed for Knight's Point State Park. The drama of getting everyone out of the house was balanced with the simple pleasures of a park, sand and water. Grammy would certainly approve.




1 comment:

Anna said...

I'm so sorry Pam...you and Dave and the kids gave her the world simply by being in her life. If you need anything at all, please let me know.

xxxooo
Anna