Sunday, September 14, 2008

36 hours


Here I am, two hours after declaring I'm spent and ready for bed. I took Jack out one last time. He surprised me by breaking free to chase after something. I dove for the leash in time to share retaliation from a skunk. If I look like a mess in this picture, I am a mess. I'm a smelly, soaking wet mess. I've begun at the end of my story and will return to the beginning.

Yesterday, as Dave and I packed up our children to join friends for lunch, we noticed the goat was out again. We weren't happy about, but it didn't worry us because he stays close to the llamas. Just before leaving, Dave took Tazor out one more time. I heard Dave scream, "Tazor No! Tazor Come!" Tazor bit the goat. The poor goat hasn't put weight on it since. The large animal vet wants to take an x-ray, something we cannot afford but need to make it work because it's the right thing to do.

Sunday, the next morning, we were out of toilet tissue, dog biscuits, dog food, eggs, sugar, bread, wine, etc. I braced myself to shop with Sam, it's exhausting. Every isle I remind him to stay visable, don't interfere with people at work or doing their shopping. Often I need to say "People don't want to buy meat (cheese, fruit, fish) with your thumbprint, hands to yourself!" As I waited in the checkout line with a full cart, I made it clear he was to stay seated by the door. I looked away for a second and poof, gone. I found Sam outside after several minutes of search and panic. I'm sure my verbal reprimand made everyone's blood turn cold. I didn't cry until Dave got home hours later. I appoligize for passing judgement on people who leash their children. For years I've avoided outings where I'm outnumbered because I've refused to leash him. I'll be getting one now with Sam Dewey's name on it.

I now return to the end of my story. I friggin stink. After two baths, Jack is tolerable. Maybe my next 36 hours won't suck this much.

3 comments:

Anna said...

Sorry you had such a shitty day! I don't think it could get any WORSE...so that MUST MEAN that things are only getting better for tomorrow!

MargieCain said...

Holy crap, Pam!! You poor thing!! If you still think you stink: Head & Shoulders shampoo does wonders!!

love you - even if you do smell. :-)

Anonymous said...

Hey Pam. Just wanted to let you know...from a former leash protester...It's a blessing. I don't use it all the time, but my son actually likes it when it does get used. First time we put it on him I thought he was going to sleep in it. You're welcome to borrow it to try it out before you spend money on one (if you haven't already).