Sunday, November 2, 2008

My Favorite Holiday

One of my favorite memories as a child was trick or treating with my Mom and Grammy. I had a leopard costume that had been made by my Grandmother Edith. Wearing it made me feel proud. There is something magical about trick or treating, spooky decorations, the smell of burning pumpkin and seeing a street filled with children in costume.

My Grandmother Edith taught me how to sew. I made a promise to myself that my kids would always have a fabulous costume made by me for Halloween. I imagine some day they will take it for granted. I also believe there will be a time in their adult lives when they remember me spending days at my sewing machine, shooing them away and cursing through pins sticking out of my mouth. When they bring their kids trick or treating and see spooky decorations, smell burning pumpkin, and look down a street filled with costumed children I hope they are reminded of me and remember how much I love them.










2 comments:

Anna said...

Good job on the costumes, Pam! Holy hell...I couldn't even get my kid to put his on! ;-)

MargieCain said...

I do love those costumes! And the photo of Mae in the window is fabulous!