Monday, April 16, 2007

If he could be a fly on the wall

Last Friday night as I was getting our children to bed, I could feel my husband's eyes on me. Previously we had a "divide and conquer" technique, but now he is working 12 hour nights we need a new routine. I was bathing them, frequently reminding Sam what it means to be nice to your sister. I read bedtime stories, trying to quell Mae's whining and re-direct Sam from distraction. My husband told me I have the patience of a saint. Tonight is his work night. As Mae screamed continuously, I drew their bath, got them undressed, cleaned up, dried off, dressed in pajamas, teeth brushed, and diverted a few meltdowns from Sam. I thought he doesn't know the half of it! It is fortunate we both agree a good day is when we put happy babies to bed. If the morning comes and the dinner dishes are still in the sink, he's good about washing them. These chaotic moments always pass. I remind myself someday it will be quiet again and I will miss the noise.

2 comments:

Anna said...

Ahhhhhhh! I checked your blog to show a friend your picture of Nellie, and found your new post. Well said!

-Anna

Anonymous said...

Well said.