Saturday, September 15, 2007

I Am Reminded of a Person With Dementia

For more than a year I enjoyed worked for a small business called The Sewing Basket. I recollect an elderly couple coming in for alterations. To us, her husband was hilarious. "What is this place?" His wife, "It's the Sewing Basket dear." His response "The Sewing Bastard? I never heard of such a place! Ha, Ha, Hee Hee". I could tell the wife was exhausted trying to keep her husband in check. I admired her for her loving acceptance and support of him.

This week out of desperation I needed supplies at the grocery store and had to bring both children. Sam is extremely confident and infinitely curious. None of his behavior was malicious, but when he chooses not to ride in the cart and freely explore his surroundings, I am constantly trying to keep him in check. Several people looked at me with pity, some with grins. A few told me, "You certainly have your hands full!". Yes I do. I lovingly accept and support the little bugger, and hope his energy and confidence serve him well later in life. For now, I am frequently counting to ten, controlling my breathing, and reminding myself of that wonderful woman caring for her husband with dementia.

1 comment:

Anna said...

You do such a good job! You're the perfect positive role model for Sam...he's very lucky to have you..."demented" or otherwise!