Saturday, October 20, 2007

"Daddy, I Miss Kilo"


Random comment from the mouth of babes when our hearts are feeling exactly the same. One year ago, he was with us. I still feel the weight of him walking around and his protective eyes on me. We find his long, stiff black hairs in the dryer lint. When weeding out toys from the kid's toybox, I could hardly see through tears falling on my glasses as I pulled out handfulls of black fur from the corners. A friend of ours summed it up, "He was a local celebrity". He really was. My heart swells with pride when I remember all the connections he made. Kilo was known by school children, Boy Scout Troups, Special Olympians and demonstrations at Vermont State Parks. Also, he is remembered by lost people that he found, by some bad guys with scars from a well deserved bite, or by seizure of something they should not have had in the first place.

Our family has been overwhelmed and moved by support from the community who shares our great loss. Next month we will note the anniversary of his passing. It's hard to believe he has been gone nearly a year. At the same time it seems like an eternity since I've touched him.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That big black furry fruit bat looking beast of a dog trained me well, and saved my ass a number of times. He was my friend, my partner. I miss him every day. I have no idea what prompted Sam's comment, but I know it came from his heart.

Spouse: well written and thank you.

CEC said...

Hey Pam: Geri Ann said she saw you guys yesterday and reminded me of your blog. We need to get together and catch up NOT over cyberspace...

Your son's tender comment about Kilo is so understandable. Children, as I well know, feel loss deeply and yet don't fear it in quite the same way that we do. He's increasing his understanding of the permanence of the loss of Kilo, in a compassionate way.

I look forward to seeing you both very soon. My family has rented a house in Craftsbury for Thanksgiving. Please know we would love for you to join us.

Anonymous said...

PMD and Dave,
He touched alot of us and we will all remember him with misty eyes and a smile. What a dog!
Time for a round of Jack?
Mary