Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Had Myself a Pity Party This Afternoon

Thankfully Dave gave me a little time to sleep in because the Deweybarn was not a pleasant place this morning. Sam and I were on the same track as last evening, it was ugly. I was constantly counting to ten (and counting the minutes until I could bring him to school).
-
After we dropped Sam at school, Mae and I headed for a much deserved lunch date. She fell asleep on our way to the restaurant. In hindsight I realize I should have handled things differently. We went in to the restaurant, I plunked Mae in a highchair at the table with our friends and headed for the buffet to fill our plate. I had two things on the plate when I heard her wailing! Poor thing was really freaked out. After the explosion she was not going back into that highchair. She and I went up together to finish filling our plate, she was fine. We sat down. It is difficult to eat a meal in a civilized manner with a squerming baby on your lap. Anna brought Mae a little dish of pudding and a spoon, which she loved and settled right down. I thought maybe I'd try the highchair again. She had a fit, waved her arms with a spoonful of pudding and whacked me right in the eye. I had an eye full of vanilla pudding and a freaked out child in my arms. After cleaning my face with a paper napkin, I opened my eye to realize I'd wiped out my contact lense! Damn it all! After a tough evening, a morning of the same, I really wanted to enjoy a meal out with friends! Other than the pleasure of seeing good friends, it sucked!
-
Thankfully my contact lense was just tucked up into my eyelid. Outside when we were saying our goodbyes it slid back into place. That would have driven me nuts navigating my way home with one eye out of focus. My friend Barb said, "Good! One less thing to worry about." In the words of my Grammy, "That's life". No kidding.

1 comment:

Anna said...

It was still nice to see you!